Zak and I love to find things that have hidden potential. It is much more fun to have a piece that tells a story, than have something that everyone else has. We spend time searching BST sites on Facebook and looking at antique shops and habitat stores. It is a fun break from reality.
Our son, Nolan, is a toddler and has a lot of toys….and we know that it is only just beginning! We are not huge fans of the colorful plastic toy look or the storage options that go along with them. So we are always looking for a way to repurpose or refinish a piece with more character that we can use in an efficient way. We lucked out on finding a toy chest that would fit our needs nicely on a BST site on Facebook and decided to give it a quick facelift.
This was one of our easiest projects! The original chest was solid wood and had good bones…it just needed some new paint
We gave the chest a good cleaning and brought it outside for some sanding.
My boys hard at work sanding off the old finish. It is always good to have someone supervising the job 😉
It was windy (we somehow always pick windy days to do painting projects or projects that involve things that can easily blow away…Now it is a big joke for Zak and I. One of us will look at the weather and usually make a comment like “Looks like a windy day! Perfect weather for spray painting that learning tower”). Nerds..I know.
We brought the chest in to the garage to try to avoid having leaves get stuck to our toy chest! We have honestly only painted furniture once before, so were a bit unprepared with the best paint options etc..however we had paint left over that matched our trim and decided to give it a try. We LOVE the vintage, weathered look, so figured that if it did not hold up perfectly then it would just add to the character! We used a brush and a foam roller (one for cabinets).
We did a total of 4 coats and then when it dried, we roughed it up a bit with sandpaper (we can’t have it looking too perfect). Voila!